Thursday, 30 October 2008

What do you give a God who's got everything?

Well, what? 

Do you fast? Do you serve on a church committee?... Do you sell all your worldly possessions?... Do you flatter Him? Do you confess your sins day and night? 

Just what do you give God? 

For it is written:

You take no delight in sacrifices or offerings.Now that you have made me listen, I finally understand. You don't require burnt offerings or sin offerings 
Psalm 40:6

He is the God who made the world and everything in it. Since He is Lord of heaven and earth, He doesn't live in man-made temples, and human hands can't serve His needs- for He has no needs. He Himself gives life and breath to everything, and He satisfies every need there is.
Acts 17:24-25

 "O my people, listen as I speak.Here are my charges against you, O Israel: I am God, your God.  I have no complaint about your sacrifices or the burnt offerings you constantly offer. But I do not need the bulls from your barnsor the goats from your pens. For all the animals of the forest are mine,and I own the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird on the mountains, and all the animals of the field are mine. If I were hungry, I would not tell you, for all the world is mine and everything in it. Do I eat the meat of bulls? Do I drink the blood of goats? Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High. Then call on me when you are in trouble, and I will rescue you,and you will give me glory."
Psalm 50:7-15
 
Ah, a clue! A clue! Thankfulness!

Worship.  Love.  Friendship. 

What is the greatest command?

Jesus replied, "'You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: Love your neighbour as yourself." 
Matthew 22:37-39

You must love. 

*Scripture references taken from the New Living Translation


No comments: