Sunday, 18 May 2008

Radical Praise

Merlin Carothers says we should praise God FOR everything, even FOR the bad stuff, (or that appears to be bad).

But he is saying that because that's what the bible says!

Ephesians 5:20
Always give thanks for all things to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Thessalonians 5:18
18 In everything give thanks. This is what God wants you to do because of Christ Jesus.

And a passage I read just just recently..
Psalm 34:1
I will praise the Lord at all times.
I will constantly speak his praises.

The reason we praise/thank God for everything is
1) The Bible says so
2) More importantly, we admit God is in control. God can make all things work for the good of those who love Him and He has good plans for us all, no matter what things appear like. God is LOVE.

This practice really has given me great moments of joy this week even though outward appearances have not all been smooth sailing.

And some nice things that has happened:
1) my wife actually asked me twice this week: "How was your day".
Why is that a "wow"? She hasn't been the type to do that regularly - she just doesn't think about it.
2) a customer brought me a free McDonalds lunch at work
3) someone at work gave me some Chicken another day for lunch
(hey, it's not like I don't have food, but it sure beat my sometimes boring homemade sandwhiches!)
4) A got a few nice tips
5) I feel much more joyous and in the moment - I've actually been listening to CD's in my car and just enjoying the music, I've been appreciating nature, animals, beauty, washing the dishes,... you get the picture.
5) God inspired me to write a praise song
6) I feel more efficient and productive at work - I may have to force myself to praise God if I feel I'm being interrupted, but then I quickly lose the irritation and am able to focus on the customer/co-worker without resentment.

Praise releases God's power to work out a situation for our good. Sometimes the circumstances change, sometimes we change and the circumstances doesn't. But something changes.

And it leads to praise songs being stuck in your head the whole day. *heeheehee*

No comments: